Much has been written in recent years about the need to provide greater work-based learning opportunities for high school students as an instructional strategy to better prepare students for college and the workforce. Several reports, such as Pathways to Prosperity: Meeting the Challenge of Preparing Young Americans for the 21st Century and Learning for Jobs have argued that other countries, those with robust apprenticeship systems, do a much better job than the United States in preparing all students for careers. This project explores the potential role that secondary career and technical education (CTE) programs may play in preparing students for apprenticeship programs.
Through site visits and interviews of current secondary CTE programs that align with and articulate to apprenticeship programs in a variety of contexts and Career Clusters®, local CTE programs are profiled for common elements and practices that characterize effective programs, as well as the underlying supports and programmatic features that enable success. Resources include a Resource Guide describing the characteristics of effective programs and strategies for engaging employers; three mini-guides offering strategies for aligning CTE and apprenticeship programs, tailored for use by employers, local and regional teams, and state teams; a site visit report and site profiles; and instructional videos and webinars on CTE-Apprenticeship alignment that include lessons learned from local programs.
- Opportunities for Connecting Secondary Career and Technical Education (CTE) Students and Apprenticeship Programs (PDF, 2.7 MB)
This report profiles eight sites using new or innovative instructional and/or programmatic designs to connect CTE with apprenticeship. It also synthesizes lessons learned across sites to support state and local leaders interested in aligning or strengthening existing connections between high school CTE programs and apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeship Catawba – Hickory, NC (PDF, 725 KB)
- Bayless Floor Layers Middle Apprenticeship Program – St. Louis, MO (PDF, 640 KB)
- Charleston Youth Apprenticeship – Charleston, SC (PDF, 756 KB)
- Edward J. Malloy Initiative for Constructive Skills – New York City, NY (PDF, 711 KB)
- Green Academy at Salinas High School – Salinas, CA (PDF, 756 KB)
- Puget Sound Skills Center Construction Technology Program – Seattle, WA (PDF, 780 KB)
- Tech Ready Apprentices for Careers in Kentucky (TRACK) – Dr. Schneider Automotive Systems -- Russell Springs, KY (PDF, 797 KB)
- Upper Valley Career Center School-to-Apprenticeship – Piqua, OH (PDF, 824 KB)
- Expanding Opportunities: Aligning Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Video 1 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes the benefits to students and employers of aligned CTE and apprenticeship programs. Date: June 16, 2017
- Elements of Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Alignment Video 2 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes a taxonomy for understanding instructional alignment and program articulation approaches for connecting CTE and apprenticeship. Date: June 16, 2017
- November 20, 2017 Webinar: Connecting Secondary Students to Apprenticeship Programs (Webinar 2 of 2) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
- May 23, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students
- April 26, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Connecting Secondary Students to Apprenticeship Programs (Webinar 1 of 2)
- Connecting Secondary CTE and Registered Apprenticeship – July 2016 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students