Much has been written in recent years about the need to provide greater work-based learning opportunities for high school students as an instructional strategy to better prepare students for college and the workforce. Several reports, such as Pathways to Prosperity: Meeting the Challenge of Preparing Young Americans for the 21st Century and Learning for Jobs have argued that other countries, those with robust apprenticeship systems, do a much better job than the United States in preparing all students for careers. This project explores the potential role that secondary career and technical education (CTE) programs may play in preparing students for apprenticeship programs.
Through site visits and interviews of current secondary CTE programs that align with and articulate to apprenticeship programs in a variety of contexts and Career Clusters®, local CTE programs will be profiled for common elements and practices that characterize effective programs, as well as the underlying supports and programmatic features that enable success. Resources to be developed include: a site visit report and site profiles; a resource guide describing the characteristics of effective programs and strategies for engaging employers; and instructional videos and webinars on CTE-Apprenticeship alignment that include lessons learned from local programs. Resources will be available in May 2017.
- Opportunities for Connecting Secondary Career and Technical Education (CTE) Students and Apprenticeship Programs (PDF, 2.7 MB)
This newly released report profiles eight sites using new or innovative instructional and/or programmatic designs to connect CTE with apprenticeship. It also synthesizes lessons learned across sites to support state and local leaders interested in aligning or strengthening existing connections between high school CTE programs and apprenticeship.
- Expanding Opportunities: Aligning Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Video 1 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes the benefits to students and employers of aligned CTE and apprenticeship programs. Date: June 16, 2017
- Elements of Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Alignment Video 2 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes a taxonomy for understanding instructional alignment and program articulation approaches for connecting CTE and apprenticeship. Date: June 16, 2017
- May 23, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students
- April 26, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Connecting Secondary Students to Apprenticeship Programs (Webinar 1 of 2)
- Connecting Secondary CTE and Registered Apprenticeship – July 2016 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students