Much has been written in recent years about the need to provide greater work-based learning opportunities for high school students as an instructional strategy to better prepare students for college and the workforce.
- Work-Based Learning Toolkit This toolkit provides state and local program administrators with information regarding the key components of work-based learning (WBL), an instructional strategy that enhances classroom learning by connecting it to the workplace. It offers guidelines and resources related to creating a state WBL strategy, engaging employers, collecting data, and scaling effective programs.
- Planning Guide for Aligning Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Programs (PDF, 3.7 MB) This planning guide is designed as an interactive tool for initiating or expanding the alignment between existing CTE and apprenticeship programs. It provides a blueprint for state, regional, and local administrators leading efforts to transform CTE and apprenticeship linkages across a state or community. For best results viewing this guide, use Adobe Acrobat.
- Opportunities for Connecting Secondary Career and Technical Education (CTE) Students and Apprenticeship Programs (PDF, 2.7 MB)
This report profiles eight sites using new or innovative instructional and/or programmatic designs to connect CTE with apprenticeship. It also synthesizes lessons learned across sites to support state and local leaders interested in aligning or strengthening existing connections between high school CTE programs and apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeship Catawba – Hickory, NC (PDF, 725 KB)
- Bayless Floor Layers Middle Apprenticeship Program – St. Louis, MO (PDF, 640 KB)
- Charleston Youth Apprenticeship – Charleston, SC (PDF, 756 KB)
- Edward J. Malloy Initiative for Constructive Skills – New York City, NY (PDF, 711 KB)
- Green Academy at Salinas High School – Salinas, CA (PDF, 756 KB)
- Puget Sound Skills Center Construction Technology Program – Seattle, WA (PDF, 780 KB)
- Tech Ready Apprentices for Careers in Kentucky (TRACK) – Dr. Schneider Automotive Systems -- Russell Springs, KY (PDF, 797 KB)
- Upper Valley Career Center School-to-Apprenticeship – Piqua, OH (PDF, 824 KB)
- Expanding Opportunities: Aligning Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Video 1 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes the benefits to students and employers of aligned CTE and apprenticeship programs. Date: June 16, 2017
- Elements of Career and Technical Education (CTE) and Apprenticeship Alignment Video 2 of 2
States, school districts, community colleges, and apprenticeship sponsors are exploring new strategies for aligning CTE programs and apprenticeships. This video describes a taxonomy for understanding instructional alignment and program articulation approaches for connecting CTE and apprenticeship. Date: June 16, 2017
- November 20, 2017 Webinar: Connecting Secondary Students to Apprenticeship Programs (Webinar 2 of 2) (PDF, 2.8 MB)
- May 23, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students
- April 26, 2017 Recorded Webinar: Connecting Secondary Students to Apprenticeship Programs (Webinar 1 of 2)
- Connecting Secondary CTE and Registered Apprenticeship – July 2016 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Framework on Registered Apprenticeship (RA) for High School Students